RE: Identifying TR3-4 trannies

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Identifying TR3-4 trannies
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:41:38 -0700
> Thanks a million Randall,

You're quite welcome.

> The friend that gave me this transmission has a TR4
> with an OD but his OD has only one switch on the top plate. From the
> description below, I would assume the this design was intended to be OD in
> 4th only.

More likely 3rd & 4th, since it only takes one switch to do that, and that
was a configuration found both very early and much later in TR production.
However as I recall all TR4/A had OD in 2nd.

> Randall mentioned something about converting a top
> plate; can this
> top plate be easily modified to have both 2nd/3rd and 4th gear
> switches?

I'm not sure about that.  Likely at a minimum, you'll need to drill & tap
the hole for the second switch.  Might be possible without removing the 1-2
shift rail, but I'd want to take it out, which does involve some work.
Reassembling the interlock and getting it right is a bit tricky.  You'll
also have to buy the tap, as it's a funny metric size not found in most
sets.  And I'm not certain that all 1-2 shift forks had the ramp for the OD
switch.

> If so, could I start with the one off my crash box so as not to risk
> the one he has on now?

The forks and rails are different for a crash box, you'll need to get those
components from a 4-synchro box.  I think the stops may be different too,
since 1st gear isn't in quite the same place.

> My friend suspects that the place that overhauled his OD
> substituted an old
> clutch assembly for the brand new one he gave them for the job
> and he is not
> real confident about the life of this part.  Do these go bad over time?

Normally they will last essentially forever, but if the OD is slipping due
to some fault, it will rapidly wear out the clutch.

> They are not available from Moss, are they hard to get?

I don't know of any source for new ones.  Old ones can be relined, but it
takes special equipment to do the job right, as the new lining must be
machined to match the ring surfaces.  Herman put a relined clutch in the
J-type for my Stag, but I think he bought it already relined from someone
else.  ORS in the UK can probably supply them, perhaps John Esposito has a
source too.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: