temperature problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: temperature problems
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:09:12 -0500
There are lots of messages on the lists about water temp problems. We all
have opinions. Me too. But none of us has addressed the most probable and
very real cause (again, in my opinion).

I race a TR4 in vintage races. I chased overheating problem for three
years, and then solved it. The things I went through trying to solve it
were water wetter, antifreeze (illegal in racing), thermostats of all
descriptions, orifices. None worked.

Then I put in a big aluminum radiator designed for stock cars. Not only did
the problem go away, but now I have to run a thermostat to keep the engine
warm enough, even during racing. I attribute this improvement partly to the
increased frontal area and partly to the modern fin design. This radiator
weighs a fraction of the original but it is 19" x 22", so it takes some
engineering to do it. It's relatively cheap, though, at about $160 for the
radiator.

What our Triiumph community needs is some approach to a better radiator
that maintains the original look of the engine compartment but doesn't cost
a darned fortune.

uncle jack

Check out the new British Cars Forum: