RE: Hardtop Rear Window

Subject: RE: Hardtop Rear Window
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:16:01 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> At Triumphest there were several hartop cars.  I noticed on one of them
> a chrome bracket for mounting the hardtop that was in place of the top
> bows mounting flange.  In my experience these hardtop mounting brackets
> do not exist at all on most TR3A cars.

If it replaced the soft top bow mount, then it was not for the factory
hardtop.  I have a factory removable hardtop for TS39781LO, and the softtop
bows can remain on the car while the hardtop is installed. (In fact, if you
remove the softtop bows to install the hardtop, the softtop mounts will
rattle as you drive.)  The hardtop rear brackets are completely inside the
rear cockpit rail, the chrome cappings surround the hole through the rail to
let the bolts thread into the brackets.

Some (all ?) aftermarket hardtops mount differently, of course.  But they're
generally fiberglass, not steel as the original was.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: