Re: TR-6 Differential Carrier

To: MD.FEED@nwh.org, 6-Pack email list <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>, "'Triumphs@Autox Net (E-mail)'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Differential Carrier
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:25:10 -0400
Thanks Dennis & list,

I checked the pinion & crown, they look perfect. After reading the
Bentley manual , it says the side carrier gears should have "0"
backlash. Is this correct?
There are two side bearings on each side, one for the axle & one for the
carrier. Which one is more likely to spin. I removed the axle stub &
gently tapped out the axel/bearing assembly. This came out as an
interference fit but certainly not a machine press fit, I assume this is
correct. I can move the larger carrier side gear(16 tooth) on it's shaft
about .002-.003 back & forth with about a .005 backlash.The entire side
carrier has no movement lateraly at all that I can measure. Ring &
pinion backlash measures .004 which is in spec. Suggestions on how to
proceed would be appreciated.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.