Alt Conversion Excite Resistor Problems

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Alt Conversion Excite Resistor Problems
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:45:51 -0700
For those of you that have converted to alternators and added the excitation
resistor so the alternator turns on at lower revs, here's an interesting twist
that I found. I have a DelcoRemy 7127, installed with Dan Masters instructions.
In addition is the 5 ohm 10 watt resistor between the brown/green and white
wires (I think this came from Randall).

While I was working on my overheating problem I've had occasion to turn the
engine on and off frequently. Occasionally, when idling at rpm >1000 I've found
that when I switched off the ignition the engine keeps running! And in fact
increases it's RPMs about 200 rpm!  Huh?

So I put a voltmeter on the white ignition wire and found 10.5 volts at the
coil even after I switched it off. Hmmm.

I took a good look at the schematic and repeated the switch off/voltage check.
While the white wire had 10.5 volts I turned on the heater. The car died. Again
I repeated the test and turned on the turn signal. The car died again. The
brake lights, headlamps had no effect. Hmmm. Must be related to the white wire.

So, I disconnected the excitation resistor. The car now switches off without
incident, and no voltage at the coil. I've got to conclude from this that the
alternator excite circuit inside the alternator is providing sufficient current
to keep the coil operational but little else.

Here's a $64 question - why did the rpm's increase as the coil voltage
decrease?

Thanks!
John

Check out the new British Cars Forum: