RE: Alt Conversion Excite Resistor Problems

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Alt Conversion Excite Resistor Problems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:52:41 -0700
> So, I disconnected the excitation resistor. The car now switches
> off without
> incident, and no voltage at the coil. I've got to conclude from
> this that the
> alternator excite circuit inside the alternator is providing
> sufficient current
> to keep the coil operational but little else.

What ignition are you using, John ?  This is a known problem with some
electronic ignitions, the cure is to add a diode in series with the
resistor.  Also, 5 ohms seems a bit low ... if you don't want to add the
diode, you could probably try 10 ohms instead.

> Here's a $64 question - why did the rpm's increase as the coil voltage
> decrease?

Beats me.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: