RE: TRactor Engine Overheating - An update

To: "TR" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TRactor Engine Overheating - An update
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 20:57:07 -0700
> Moss suggests I run with a solid copper gasket, but I've had
> sealing problems
> with one before. So, I've settled for a standard copper sandwich
> gasket for
> now. I will also talk to GasketWorks regarding a real 87 mm
> gasket for the long term.

Something to check while it's apart ... make sure the liners stand proud of
the block by the recommended amount on BOTH sides.  The block in my (now
wrecked) TR3A was apparently not machined square, with the result that the
liners measured fine on one side, but only about .002" on the other, and it
was perpetually blowing head gaskets.  Just like yours, it would start out
as a small leak and get progressively larger as the gasket burnt away.

After some consulting with Ken Gillanders (and not wanting to remove the
block at the time), I decided to try adding a circle of copper wire around
each cylinder.  That fix has worked great for many years now, I've even
reused the gasket several times and it still seals just fine.

And it is a standard composite TR4 gasket, with 87mm liners.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: