Wire Wheels & Tubes

To: Mark Holder <markrholder@verizon.net>
Subject: Wire Wheels & Tubes
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:30:35 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net i9CCXn5e023440
Message text written by Mark Holder
>I want to mount modern radials on my wire wheels (71-TR6)  Do I need
tubes? How about those rubber bands that go between the tube and the wheel?
 Would you trust your neighborhood shop to mount the tires or should I find
someone who has special equipment?
<

The purpose of those rubberbands is to protect the tubes from the ends of
the spokes.  They are insufficient to seal against air leaks.  A friend of
mine has mounted tubeless tires on wire rims by sealing all the spoke
connections with silicone or urethane sealer.  But this can be tricky since
a leak can cause a tire to go flat quite quicklly and the only way to test
is to mount a tire and air it up.  Then if it leaks you have to dismount
and repair the leak.  And it may not leak right away.  And silicone diesn't
stick to cured silicone very well.

You might consider consulting with Hendrix Wire Wheel
(http://www.hendrixwirewheel.com) or British Wire Wheel
(http://www.britishwirewheel.com).  They might offer to seal them up for
you.

Dave