RE: crank wheel shims and oil thrower

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: crank wheel shims and oil thrower
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:18:29 -0700
> I decided to omit the two brass shims that sit behind the crank gear
> on my TR2 motor rebuild, this was because when I fitted the gear
> without the shims and lined it up against the cam wheel with a
> straight edge they seemed perfectly in line. I am using a different
> crank and new cam gear so I guessed this is why I no longer needed to
> adjust. It seems however that the workshop manual considers these
> shims as standard fitment. Do I need to undo everything and try
> again, when using the straight edge against the gears I did not use a
> feeler gauge but judged by eye.

I'd say it depends both on how you plan to use the car, and on how good your
eye is.  If it's a show car that you'll only drive 1000 miles/year, then I
wouldn't worry about it.  The amount of misalignment corrected by those
shims will only accelerate chain wear a little.

> Secondly my Haynes manual suggests I
> should fit the oil thrower with the concave side facing the crank
> gear, surely this is back to front?

Yup, that's backwards.  Look carefully at Fig 12 in the factory manual, you
can see the curve in the slinger.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: