Re: Where to put speaker in TR4

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Where to put speaker in TR4
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:40:15 -0700
ScharfR@aol.com wrote:

>I have all the proper pieces to install period-style (low fidelity AM) tunes
>in my TR4; genuine Triumph radio, console faceplate, antenna and the sturdy
>looking cast speaker housing. The final question is, where does one install
>that
>speaker? Somewhere in the passenger footwell? On the tunnel somehow? I must
>be missing something here because I've looked through all the relevant
>pictures, books and other material to no avail.

Though I believe these were installed by the dealer I think there was a
standard 2-piece bracket used to mount a speaker in the passenger
footwell.  Mine has such a bracket and I have seen the identical item on
eBay from time to time.  The big piece (which you have) held the
speaker.  The second (small) piece was a U-shaped bracket typically
attached to the underside of the flat part of the engine bay on the
right/passengers side.  You can see the 2 nuts (w/ washers) that hold it
in the lower left (next to the STC plate) in the third picture on this page:

http://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/tr4-five.html

The U-shaped piece is sort of like this:  I___________I   with the tabs
on the ends attaching to the ears on your casting.  Could easily fashion
one out of 1" bar stock.

Sorry, one of my TRs is always taking a turn on the storage unit and it
is the TR4 there for now so I cannot give you exact dimensions of the
holes, etc.

Geo Hahn
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon, AZ