RE: Headlight wiring

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Headlight wiring
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:35:39 -0700
> I have vintage Lucas Headlights & Bulbs, but want to put in halogen
> headlights that are 65w/55w.  I have made new headlight harnesses
> that will take the
> load,,, but I have a new wiring harness that is made like the
> original.  Will
> the harness, switch & dimmer switch take on the load of halogen
> headlights?

Yes (at those power levels), but your lights won't be as bright as they
could be.  The voltage drop through the original wires & switches isn't
enough to harm the components, but does reduce the voltage to the
headlights, making them dimmer.

> Does anyone make an all in one, headlight relay with circuit
> breaker?

JC Whitney still sells (AFAIK) a dual headlight relay with integrated fuses.
If you want circuit breakers instead, you could buy the kind that are
designed to plug into a AGC fuse holder.  The instructions with my relay
were for adding sealed beam headlights to a Model A Ford !

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: