RE: nut$ and bolt$

To: <CarlSereda@aol.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: nut$ and bolt$
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:02:09 -0400 from [4.10.138.246] at Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:02:32 -0500
Most towns I've lived in have a nut and bolt supply house.  Look in the
yellow pages under bolts and nuts.  They will carry 90% of what you need for
a very reasonable cost.  Another great source is Granger which has their
catalog on line.  You may have to buy larger quantities but with their
discount it is still cheaper then the big 3.  I needed a special set screw
for my English rebuilt started.  Granger had it, but I had to buy a dozen.
However, some bolts just won't be available unless you go to the big 3 and
pay exorbitant prices.  I always keep every nut and bolt I remove from all
of my LBCs.  A tumbler will bring them back to looking new in very little
time and they are the real thing.
Good luck
Pete

Hi Listers,
Are there any other reasonable alternatives for locating and buying dozens
of
missing bolts, screws, washers, lockwashers, nuts, nylocs, etc. besides from
The Big 3?
I do have the Standard-Triumph Hardware Catalogue, the TR4 Parts Manual, and
TR4/4A Workshop Manual.
So far my 'immediate needs' list (ie; trunnion cross-pin nylocs, a scuttle
vent flap bolt, body-to-frame 'pointed' bolts, thick body washers with small
holes, chrome bolts, flush slot-head screws with fine thread, etc) has
confused,
frustrated, and even angered folks working at Pep Boys, Kragens, Orchard
Hardware, Ace Hardware and NAPA.
I was tempted to buy RevingtonTRs $365.00 TR total hardware package!
If I put together an exact list of all my missing fasteners - can I go
somewhere for one-stop shopping? Do I have to use mail-order only? Or is
there some
retail 'bolt-heaven' out there I can visit? Your advice appreciated.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

Check out the new British Cars Forum: