brake/clutch master cylinders

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: brake/clutch master cylinders
From: "Doug M" <dougm1000@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:45:51 -0700 FILETIME=[26429C90:01C4B48B]

I am building my brake system for my TR3B frame-up restoration and I have a
few different brake cylinders to choose from to rebuild and I seek your advice
on what you know about these cylinders.

I have a few brake/clutch master cylinders that are stamped Girling and have
the numbers 310680.  They have one pipe connector at 90 degrees and the other
pipe connection at about a 45 degree angle.  This design seems to be the shape
of the current Moss and TRF master cylinders.

I have a few Girling clutch/brake master cylinders that are stamped with the
number 310660 and one also has the name Dialoy on the back of it.  These
cylinders have both pipe connectors at 90 degrees to the cylinder.

I have not been able to find these Girling part numbers on the Internet and I
checked with the big guys and they don't use these Girling numbers.   I see
that there are Girling replacements with different numbers now so I expect
that the numbering system was changed during the last 42 years.

If anyone knows the history of these Girling cylinder numbers and if they
could confirm which of the two types would have been used on the TR3B I would
appreciate the information.  I will be rebuilding two of them anyway so I can
do either of the types.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Check out the new British Cars Forum: