Alternator conversion question - indicator light stays on

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> i9NE3ZKB004280
Subject: Alternator conversion question - indicator light stays on
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:02:13 -0400
I'm in the midst of converting my TR4 to a used Delco 10si alternator that I
was given. I've run into a problem, and would like to get some wisdom from
the group.

The alternator appears to be working, putting out 14.25v when the car is
running.  However, the dash charge indicator light won't go out.  It dims a
bit when the engine speed is increased, but stays on. The circuit for this
is pretty simple, and everything is as described in the VTR site directions.
I did notice that there is a drop of 0.5-1.0v or so in the system between
the alterator and the battery posts.  I'm assuming that this is within
normal limits for the wiring harness (replaced with new about 4 years ago).

Any idea what's going on here? Is it possible that the alternator has a
fault, even though its putting out the correct voltage? Would the observed
voltage drop effect the operation of the indicator light?

Thanks.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4
1974 2000 GTV