RE: Alternator conversion question - indicator light stays on

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Alternator conversion question - indicator light stays on
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:42:21 -0700 i9NEgLKB005501
> Any idea what's going on here? Is it possible that the alternator has a
> fault, even though its putting out the correct voltage?

In a word, yes.  A failed diode, for example, can severely reduce the output
capability of the alternator while still producing the correct voltage under
light load.

> Would the observed
> voltage drop effect the operation of the indicator light?

No, it takes many volts to light the bulb.

Personally, I'd start by measuring the voltage (to ground) on each side of the
indicator lamp.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: