Need to rejuvinate TR3 steering

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Need to rejuvinate TR3 steering
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:30:42 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Been some time since I've written. My project
(TS42099l) has been on hold for the past 18 months due
to house construction, but I have been given the honor
of enjoying my dad's 1961 TR3A for the summer. In
return for this kind act, I am "freshing up" the
steering and suspension. I've got new rubber and
bearings for wishbone suspension and new
silentblocs/ball joints for steering. I am now
thinking about one of the most tired components of the
car... the steering box.

I always suspected the box was tired and worn, as it's
stiff and all-get-out and there is a 3-5 degree slack
in steering wheel before it feels like the steering
kicks in. This suspension was clearly validated when I
got to drive a couple other TR3's recently. Mine is in
bad shape. I've got a spare steering box that has been
opened up and the bearings/gears/cam all seem in good
shape. But how to make sure? I sure don't want to go
through the hassle of swapping out a box for another
bad one.

So, what I'm looking for is "been there, done that"
info including rebuild procedures, procedures for
swapping out the whole unit and any tips on getting
around pulling the front apron (Hey! I have to at
least ASK!). I've got a R&P unit in the project and
sure would like to see if I can achieve as smooth and
easy steering with factory components, as testified by
Randall and others!

Richard

Check out the new British Cars Forum: