TR3 rear end behaviour on bumpy roads

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 rear end behaviour on bumpy roads
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:36:59 -0700 (PDT)
Had the TR3 (TS75434) out for a run on a new back road
last weekend. One long stretch of asphalt was riddled
with a regular series of bumps which looked similiar
to the washboarding you get on dirt roads. Speed limit
was 60 and I had a dickens of a time keeping this
speed. Unless you were just outside the washboarding,
the car would start to vibrate with the bumps and I
could feel the rear end start to want to break away
due to the rear tires losing traction. Is this the
"nature of the beast" or is there something going out?
My guesses are shocks or leafsprings... maybe shackle
bushings (and having a tired steering doesn't help
keep things under contro either!)? Any tips or related
experience sure appreciated.

And, on a vaugley related topic, is there an
"official" skid pad value on a TR3? I assume it will
vary with age and components (anti sway bars etc) but
wondered about a stock value.

Thanks, Richard

Check out the new British Cars Forum: