RE: Shoulder Belts -- TR3A

To: "TR" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Shoulder Belts -- TR3A
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:49:36 -0800
> Accepting (as I think most TR3 owners do) that these cars are not
> partcularly crash-worthy, I have pondered the wisdom of a shoulder
> belt.  In particular I think about that spear-point of a steering column
> that might come my way in a collison.

Just to weigh in on the topic, I've maintained for a long time that your
best chance of surviving a really bad TR3 crash is to be thrown clear of the
car.  My recent experience with having my TR3A totaled while I was in it has
done nothing to change my opinion.

The TR2/3 steering column actually has a fair amount of padding on top of
it, in the form of that big Bakelite control head.  As that crushes of
course, your chest will come up against the pot metal hub, which will also
break if enough force is applied.  But IMO it will have done a lot to stop
you by the time you actually get to the tip of the shaft.

I suppose it also depends on driving style ... I've actually been in a fair
number of accidents over the years.  Never once have I had the sort of
head-on crash that a lap belt mostly helps with.  I've always been trying to
go around or get out of the way, at least to the point of having the car
mostly sideways by the time I actually hit something.  Even being wedged in
between another car and a concrete wall is better than just plowing into his
back bumper !

I know few others will agree, but IMO seat belts give you a false sense of
security and very little real protection.  The situation changes, of course,
with a full roll cage like the racers use, combined with shoulder belts and
head supports/restraints.  But IMO just bolting lap belts into an otherwise
stock car does little or nothing to actually improve your chances of
surviving a serious accident.

I should perhaps add that both myself and my father have been in serious,
life-threatening car accidents.  In both cases, wearing seat beats would
have INCREASED our chances of injury.  I climbed out with no injuries
whatsoever even though where I had been sitting was now occupied by the
door. Dad only got cuts on his face & arms from diving into the passenger's
side floor as a 12" log (seriously) came through the windsheild, taking out
the steering wheel and mangling the B post behind his shoulder (not in a TR
obviously).  I have no doubt that not wearing a shoulder belt saved his
life.

BTW, my TR3A wreck was fairly minor in terms of distorting the passenger's
compartment.  And yet, the driver's seat is now several inches closer to the
steering wheel, and is held there by the back seat!  Having a belt around
you isn't going to be any help at all once the car is folded up ...

Randall