Fan Belt Woes

To: "Bob Danielson" <75trsix@snet.net>
Subject: Fan Belt Woes
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:29:58 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net iAUCVbAC007362
Message text written by "Bob Danielson"
>It appears I finally have the
mounting configuration finalized but now have a fan belt problem. I can get
my existing belt between the cross member and fan belt pulley ok but the
steering rack blocks it on the lower end of the pulley. I've been told that
the best bet is too loosen the motor mounts and try to jack the motor up a
little and hope it increases the clearance.<

I don't know but I suspect that this clearance varies from car to car.
I've been told that just sliding the engine back on the engine mounts is
sufficient but my engine is as far back as it can go and it is at least 1/2
belt width away from allowing the belt to pass either the rack or the cross
member.

What I have done in the past is loosen the rack mounts taking one out all
together.  This allows one to swing the rack forward enough to allow the
belt to pass.  Then you are left with the problem of compressing the rack
mounts when re-attaching the rack.  Whether this is more or less trouble
than raising the engine is more a matter of opinion and/or tools available.

Dave Massey
71 TR6