Re: mig welders

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: mig welders
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 06:31:56 EST
Hi Frank,

I've been considering a MIG welder too, and have been gathering info for a
while. What I've learned is similar to the other response you got already: flux
core is generally not as neat as gas shielded welding. Flux core is primarily
intended for outdoor use, when a breeze will blow away the gas. But, it will
tend to spatter more. Most of the time I plan to use gas rather than flux core.
It is nice to have a choice, though.

Yes, the high voltage models are more capable in some respects, but how often
will you really need to weld over 1/4" thick materials? Many 230V models only
allow 5/16 material, anyway. 220/230V models often do have a higher duty
cycle rating. You are lucky to have a 220/230V outlet available. But, how often
is
that the case? If you ever take the welder somewhere else to do a small job,
will 220/230V be likely to be available? Also, it's possible to "split" a
110/115V line off a 220/230V receptacle. I've got a short, homemade splitter I
used many years ago on construction sites, but I don't recall how I put it
together.

I'm looking at the Hobart line of 115V units, probably the Handler 140. (The
Handler 180 is 22/230V) These are made by Miller Electric, I believe, which is
a well respected line, but generally more expensive. Asking around, I've
heard a lot of good reports on Hobart models. More info at
www.hobartwelders.com ,
especially check out "Welding 101". There is also a lot of info at
www.millerwelds.com

Have you done other types of welding? I use an oxy/acetylene outfit a lot.
And, I've used a stick welder occasionally. I understand MIG is easier to use
than gas. The auto feed has got to be a big convenience, compared to stick
welding. And, it's a lot faster than TIG, although the latter can handle a
wider
variety of materials and makes super neat welds.

One key consideration is "duty cycle". This varies depending upon the power
setting, may be only 20 or 30% at top power setting with some units. That means
that you can weld for 2 or 3 minutes out of every ten, for all practical
purposes.

Hope Santa brings you what you want!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:55:54 EST
From FGFO1 at aol.com
Subject: mig welders

Hi guys
well as Christmas approaches IM looking for my present. And the one thing
that IM thinking of asking Santa for is a MIG welder.