Re: TR futures

To: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR futures
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:15:34 -0700
Randall wrote:

>>All cars lose to SUVs,
>>

>Are you sure about that ?
>http://www.suv.org/safety.html
>http://www.roadandtravel.com/consumerreports/suvsafety.htm
>
>Remember when Firestone tires were blowing out on cars ?  Out of millions of
>tires on the road, there were less than 50 deaths blamed on sudden tire
>failure.
>But when they put similarly defective tires on Ford Explorers, there were
>hundreds of deaths.  There's a message there.

Thanks, Randall, I meant in a two-car accident but I see that wasn't
clear. More massive usually "wins" in two car accidents. But depending
on how the statistics are spun, you could say that SUVs are even more
dangerous to their owners and passengers than to other drivers. Even in
an accident, lots of factors like driver skill and seat belt use come
into play. SUVs are more likely to roll in an accident, or while trying
to avoid an accident, and if the SUV passengers aren't wearing seat
belts -- and many *feel* safer in the SUV so they don't wear them --
they're more likely to be killed than seat-belt-wearing car passengers.

The recent accident that sticks in my mind was the Denver metro Realtor
who was sitting at a stop light in his late model BMW convertible. A
carjacked SUV slid out of control through the light and he was killed
instantly. Probably the safest convertible he could be driving.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO