RE: 75W90 Cost Comparisons

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 75W90 Cost Comparisons
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:48:27 -0800
> Valvoline Synthetic 80w90 was $4.39 for their tall plastic bottles

That's Durablend, their "semi-synthetic".  The courts have ruled that even 3%
synthetic content counts as "semi-synthetic".  If you find their full synthetic,
it's substantially more expensive (and rated 75W90).  Personally, I'd stay away
from the semi-synthetic stuff, as it's rated GL-5 and may have more of the
additive that eats copper alloys.

> Castrol was $5.00 for 75w90 and

Full synthetic, blend, or conventional ?  That's about the right price for
semi-synthetic, IMO.

> COASTAL Full Synthetic was $12 for the same amount of 75w140 !!!!

A reasonable price for full synthetic, IMO.

> Good Grief! COASTAL is a brand I usually save to only put in my WHEELBARROW!!

Your wheelbarrow uses gear oil ?

> WHAT'S UP WITH THIS?

Does the phrase Caveat Emptor mean anything to you ?

Randall