Steering Wheel mounting question, TR4A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Wheel mounting question, TR4A
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:02:25 -0800
List,

I am mounting my new Mota Lita steering wheel to the outer steering column
(outside of the car), and I have a question.  When I put the column into the
boss for the steering wheel, the splines that keep the shaft (or the wheel,
whichever you prefer) from turning protrude through the boss and then up
into the inside of boss by about 1/4".  This means that the nut that holds
the assembly together will not hit the bottom of the boss and tighten it up.
Anybody see any potential problem with just inserting some washers so that
the nut will tighten correctly (albeit against the washers instead of
against the boss)?  Doesn't really seem like I have any other choice -
everything else looks OK to me.  Maybe adding in some loctite as well?

Any help is appreciated!

Jeff Tedder

'66 & '67 TR4A