Re: powder coating

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: Re: powder coating
From: "Doug M" <dougm1000@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 10:59:05 -0800
Paul Dorsey wrote:

> I powder coated inner and outer sills and floorboards, is this a smart
thing
> to do?

I have never had the chance to work with powder coated materials that still
must be welded together.  Let me know how well the 60+ "plug" welds (or spot
welds) on the sills, floor pans and outer sills work out.  I was always
under the impression, I guess incorrectly, that welding heat ruined the
powder coating finish in that area so then the inner mating surfaces would
no longer be protected by the powder coating anyway.

I don't know how well this will work with powder coated surfaces but I have
had success in protecting surfaces to be joined together by using PPG's
Weldthrough etch primer. have done a few tests using this primer and when
you pull apart a "plug" weld, the etch primer has survived the heat very
well and continues to adhere to almost all of the surface area.
Accordingly, I find the etch primer works very well to add protection
between the metal mating surfaces of the floorpans, and inner and outer
sills.

Happy welding.

Doug