The value of analogue - New Sports cars vs. old - very long &

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The value of analogue - New Sports cars vs. old - very long &
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 23:43:19 -0400
Hi List:

I've been watching the new car vs. old car debate with interest. More reliable
high-performance for new, versus rattly old hard-to-maintain for old. Here is a
different point of view told via a seemingly dis-connected situation:

I've been cleaning out my basement. During the past 20 years of working on R&D
projects in upsy-downsy tech companies in stuff ranging from military fire
control to digital cinema, I collected a huge pile of computer bits and
electronics. Finally the critical-mass-of-aggravation was been reached and I've
been tossing it out. Kind of gut-wrenching actually, but that's life. Soon I'll
have a nice clean basement and peace.

After going though the huge pile of rubbish trying to separate what is
effectively worthless due to obsolescence from those things that are still
useful, the following sort of list comes to the fore:

Worthless

motherboards,
memory cards, chips,
graphics cards
disk drives
any plug-in card using ISA/EISA standard

Useful

power cables
serial/parallel cables
fans
speakers
microphones
cameras
SCSI RAID casings
test insturments (voltmeters, oscilloscope etc.)
big CRT monitors (OK no value, but at least they still work)

So, what's the connection to LBCs you might well ask? It's simple enough, so
bear with me a while (and wait for the next e-mail);

Mark