Door weatherstrip adhesive

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Door weatherstrip adhesive
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:40:31 -0400 (EDT)
Greetings,

On my '71 GT6, one of the DPOs had the car repainted a few years ago (poor job,
unfortunately) and had some of the door seals replaced. While giving the car a
much needed wash, I noticed a significant amount of water seeping into the rear
from the top of the rear hatch. It turns out the rubber weatherstrip attached
to the car - is not. It is just kinda placed in position. It looks like water
runs under the weatherstrip and into the car since when I looked at it right
after the wash, the top surface of the weatherstrip was dry, and there was
water inside the plastic hinge cover.

My question is, what does one normally used to fix and seal the weatherstrip?
Regular clear silicone or chewing gum? Or is it *supposed* to leak (it is a
Triumph after all). Thanks.

Cameron
'71 GT6