RE: lug nut torque value

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: lug nut torque value
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:45:01 -0700
> Does anybody know what the correct torque amount would
> be? Even an educated guess would be helpful.

In the absence of better information, 50 ftlb should do.  You might want to
double-check that the wheels fit the hubs properly and the lug nuts fit the
wheels.

> Can someone confirm that indeed this would not be a
> correct speedometer for my car and perhaps indicate
> what would be the correct Serial Number?

The important thing is the calibration number, a plain 4-digit (no letters)
number under the odometer window as I recall.  The "correct" speedometer
would depend on what rear axle ratio and tires your car was delivered with,
but ISTR 1184 was the common number on TR3s.  Most TR4s had a slightly lower
number, but not by enough to matter, maybe 1152 which would be only a 3%
error, or about 2 mph at 70 mph.

IMO it's more likely you've got the wrong drive gear.  But unless you spend
big bux on tires in the original size, or install a ratio adapter to match
the tires you've got, there's always going to be some error.  A 40 year old
speedo isn't the most accurate thing, either.

Randall