Re: TR3A won't start

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A won't start
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:18:43 -0700
avhodge@iwon.com wrote:

>My 1960 TR3A won't start by itself.  It just won't spin the engine fast enough.
>I took the battery out and put it in the TR250 and it cranks over, starts fine.
>I thought the ground strap was bad so I replaced it.
>I can start it if I jump from another car.
>
>Is the starter shot?

Could be, but first I would verify that you have a good ground strap
connection to the block -- braided cable from a timing cover bolt to the
d/s engine mount.  Also be sure that the nut that holds the big cable
from the solenoid to the back of the starter is tight (they can work
loose).  There are other things to check but I would begin with those.

Geo Hahn