RE: TR3A won't start

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A won't start
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:10:22 -0700
> Could be, but first I would verify that you have a good ground strap
> connection to the block -- braided cable from a timing cover bolt to the
> d/s engine mount.

Actually on a 3A, the original strap was from the motor side stud of the LH
motor mount, to one of the frame bolts on the same mount.  It's kind of hard to
reach, but a good test is to feel the choke cable while you're cranking the
engine.  If the choke cable gets hot, the ground strap isn't doing it's job.

Likewise, you can feel around all of the starter and battery cable connections.
If you find a hot one, Bingo.  Be a little careful though, they can easily be
hot enough to burn you and not show it.  If it's a solenoid connection that gets
hot, and cleaning and retightening doesn't fix it, the solenoid itself may be
bad.

Definitely worth checking all these things ... but if it's an original starter,
I'd say it's the most likely culprit in my experience.  I've even seen them work
fine on the bench and not work on the car.

Randall