RE:

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:10:21 -0700
> I had a vexing problem with my TR6 on my recent 300 mile trip causing six
> stops for repairs. I finally discovered that the rubbing block on the
> points sets, both old and new, were wearing away in just a few miles.

Are you sure it's got the right coil on it ?  There were two different ignition
coils used on the TR6, one of them requires an external ballast resistor.
Running the external ballast coil without a ballast will overheat the points &
can melt the rubbing block.

Also, is your point cam smooth and greased ?  Just a tiny amount of rust can
turn it into sandpaper.  Even just running dry will seriously shorten the life
of the rubbing block.

> Does anybody know of a source of these parts that are of higher quality
> than sold through some of our big parts houses?

Sorry, I don't.  Even the Lucas replacement points had plastic rubbing blocks, I
thought they were supposed to be an improvement over the old fiber ones.

Randall