RE: TR3 order of assembly

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 order of assembly
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:01:13 -0700
> I know there are different orders of assembly.  Why shouldn't I follow this
> one:
> 1.  mount the gearbox to the prepared frame
> 2.  mount the engine to the prepared frame & gearbox.

Its awkward as all-get-out.  The frame will not support the gearbox, you'll have
to support it separately, and I don't believe the engine will slide into place
unless the front of the gearbox is tilted up and the whole operation done on an
angle.  It's also a fairly critical operation mating the engine to the gearbox,
as the input shaft needs to be turned to go through the clutch plate, and must
be at just the right angle to hit the pilot bearing.  Kind of tough to do with
the engine twirling on the end of a hoist.

Much better, IMO, to mate the gearbox to the engine and then lower them onto the
frame as an assembly.

> 3.  mount the tub to the prepared frame, gearbox & engine.

No reason at all, that's what the factory did.

Randall