Re: Tie rod removal

To: Acey2525@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tie rod removal
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:02:47 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/2005 4:38:13 PM Central Standard Time,
Acey2525@aol.com writes:
> Hi folks,  How the heck do I get the tie rods off?  I had luck 25  years
> ago
> by jacking up on the tie rod end and beating on the side with a maul  and it
>
> would eventually pop.  It ain't poppin today :)

Keep at it.  I just went through this.  Three out of four came apart fairly
easily but the fourth one fought back.  Finally after several weeks of beating
on it, using a pickle fork and soaking it with PB Blaster and then giving up
for weeks at a time it took buying two ball joint separators that were both too
big and a few final whacks and it popped off like nobodies business.

Try backing up the joint with another hammer to reduce the shock to the rest
of the suspension.

Dave
57 TR3 with fresh front end rebuild