RE: tr3 motor mounts

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr3 motor mounts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:03:40 -0700
> But even though Triumph used a superior
> glue on the motor mounts (and BTW, there is no bolt running through the middle
> of them),

They weren't glued ... the rubber was actually molded (vulcanized) to the metal
in a patented process.

> it seems like, it would not hold the motor by itselft.  Perhaps the
> propellor shaft really holds the motor back from sliding.  Or is it the motor
> mounts?

The 3 mounts shared the load normally, I believe.  There are actually "fail
safe" plates listed in the parts manual for the front mounts, and sold by the
usual suspects, but I've never found them in place on a car I've disassembled
(and never installed the ones I bought from TRF).  But the rear mount is
fail-safe in itself, so it will locate the motor fore and aft even if the front
mounts break.  Sideways is a different story ... if the rear mount breaks, the
transmission can slide sideways until the U-joint hits on the tunnel.  Makes a
lot of noise and scares the passengers, but no real harm.

Randall