TR3A stuck valve

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A stuck valve
From: "Todd Richmond" <fatherof5@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:58:09 -0600
Hi All,

Thanks for all the great responses to my rebuild questions.  I think I've
responded to everyone who sent me mail, so if I missed someone it was
not intentional.

Well, I have been busy rebuilding the starter as well as getting ready to
remove the engine from the frame.  In fact, it is all disconnected, I just
need a hoist to lift it up to the engine stand.

One thing I noticed while doing this is that I have a stuck intake valve
on the 2nd cylinder (from the front).  When I turn the engine by hand
with the valve cover off, everything looks okay except this valve.  It is
stuck in the open position.  The rocker arm goes up and down and
"taps" it each cycle, but the valve stem never moves.

So, what are the implications of this type of failure?   Does this happen
when the valve doesn't seat well and hot gases burn the oil on the stem
so that it can't travel through the valve guide?  Or is it more likely that
the
valve guide is just worn and the valve is jammed in the guide?

I have not yet taken the head off because I'd like to get a compression
check on the other cylinders first, but I'll let you know what I find when I
do take it off.

Thanks,

Todd Richmond
1959 TR3A