RE: TR3A stuck valve

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A stuck valve
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:43:01 -0700
> One thing I noticed while doing this is that I have a stuck intake valve
> on the 2nd cylinder (from the front).  When I turn the engine by hand
> with the valve cover off, everything looks okay except this valve.  It is
> stuck in the open position.  The rocker arm goes up and down and
> "taps" it each cycle, but the valve stem never moves.
>
> So, what are the implications of this type of failure?   Does this happen
> when the valve doesn't seat well and hot gases burn the oil on the stem
> so that it can't travel through the valve guide?  Or is it more likely that
> the
> valve guide is just worn and the valve is jammed in the guide?

Todd, I've not seen any other replies to this, so I'll take a SWAG at it.  Stuck
valves are not a common problem on the TRactor motor, and usually indicate the
valve guide is too tight for some reason.  Since your engine was stored for a
long time, my guess would be that #2 intake was stored open, and there's now
rust on the valve stem preventing it from sliding back into the guide.  I
suppose it's possible that both springs are broken, but that seems less likely
to me.

The good news is that new guides and valves are readily available and reasonably
priced.  The bad news is that changing a guide is something perhaps best left to
a machine shop on your first rebuild.  But see how a different valve fits first,
the guide may be OK.  To disassemble it, I'd probably cut away the valve springs
with an angle grinder ($20 at HF), after stripping everything else of course.
They're likely to be 'tired' from being held compressed anyway.

Randall