RE: TR4 oil question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 oil question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:18:20 -0700
> But here is my question, since I am not clear on oil, and for my '64 TR4.  Its
> time for an oil change.  Last oil change was 10 30 synthetic.  I reside at an
> elevation of 4300 ft in the mountains of Northeastern California.  Its an area
> of extreme temperature change from zero in the winter to 100 (F) during the
> year.  Anyhow, I thought I saved a message concerning a similar topic.  So my
> question, is should I use 20/50 instead of 10/30?

Opinions will vary, Tim.  I'd say it depends on how low your idle oil pressure
goes after a run in the heat ... if it's still 15-20 psi then I'd say your 10W30
full synthetic is thick enough.  If it drops lower than that, I'd go for the
20W50.  The book says 20 weight is good down to 0F, so it should still be OK in
the winter.

For conventional oils, I'd probably go for the 20W50 anyway.

YMMV, etc.
Randall