TR6 Starter run on

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Starter run on
From: Tom Bottman <tbottman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:58:54 -0600
This is a continuation of my TR6 starter problems.
A few months back, the starter would continue to run, even with the key in
the normal ignition position. And then would continue to run with the key
turned off and removed from the ignition switch. At first it would
eventually stop by itself. Soon, the only way to stop it was to pull off the
ground wire from the battery.
I first replaced the starter relay. And everything seemed to work correctly.
Then the problem slowly started up again.
So I replaced the starter switch. Seemed OK for several weeks. Had a few
occurrences, but a little shaking of the key seemed to make the started
stop. Now, it happens almost every time, and I normally have to pull the
ground wire to stop it.
So . . . Solenoid? The starter itself seems very strong. However, if I am
taking things apart to get at the solenoid, maybe I should just put in a new
and modern starter.
Any input is welcome.
Thanks, Tom Bottman
74 TR6