Re: TR6 Starter run on

To: tbottman@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Starter run on
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:06:24 EDT
In a message dated 4/16/2005 3:55:16 PM Central Standard Time,
tbottman@earthlink.net writes:
> A few months back, the starter would continue to run, even with the key in
> the normal ignition position. And then would continue to run with the key
> turned off and removed from the ignition switch. At first it would
> eventually stop by itself. Soon, the only way to stop it was to pull off the
> ground wire from the battery.
> I first replaced the starter relay. And everything seemed to work correctly.
> Then the problem slowly started up again.
> So I replaced the starter switch. Seemed OK for several weeks. Had a few
> occurrences, but a little shaking of the key seemed to make the started
> stop. Now, it happens almost every time, and I normally have to pull the
> ground wire to stop it.
> So . . . Solenoid? The starter itself seems very strong. However, if I am
> taking things apart to get at the solenoid, maybe I should just put in a new
> and modern starter.
> Any input is welcome.

Sounds like you've replaced both likely culprits.  Unless one of the new
pieces is also defective (not an impossibility) the only other possibilities
are
the starter relay and the seatbelt interlock.  The 74 had the USDOT mandated
seatbelt interlock system that everybody hated and so the ruling was recinded
the next year but that still left a whole year's production equipped with these
things.  Somewhere in the passenger footwell is a round device with a round
plug with many wires.  If you splice the white/red and the white/orange wires
you will have a direct connection from the starter switch and the starter relay.

Unless you are keenly interested in concours, this is the place to start.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8