Re: Squeaking- cracking

To: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>, "Triumphs"
Subject: Re: Squeaking- cracking
From: "phil ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:27:20 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>
To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 8:39 AM
Subject: Squeaking- cracking

> Guys I just completed greasing all the components in the front end,
however
> I just continue to have a cracking-squeaking in the front end. I think it
is
> coming from the upper fulcrum bushes (rubber). Is there a way to lube
these
> with out taking the front end apart?

Rubber bushings don't operate on a sliding principle, so there is nothing to
lube.  Rubber bushings operate via their own distortion.

If a rubber bushing has hardened, and somehow one half of it became unstuck,
I suppose it could start acthing like a hard bushing.  I don't think you
could lube it without disassembly.  If it came to that, you'd be smarter to
replace the bushing with stock rubber or a hard bushing (typically poly).

1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net http://www.mnautox.com/ http://www.lotusowners.com
"TOOLS? Hell, any fool can work with tools. It takes a real mechanic to
work with this junk." -Orv Ethier, 1921-2004. First Shot Naval Vets, Pearl
Harbor Survivor.