Tr4 dash lights

To: TR <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tr4 dash lights
From: Mark Vaden <markvaden@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:51:27 -0700
Hi,

I would like the dash lights to work on my TR4. Illumination works
intermittently for the speedo, and tach gauges, and the two lights
that light the instrument cluster do not work at all. The speedometer
and the tach have a ground wire hooked up to the gauge. I suspect that
I have a faulty ground somewhere and that's why I can't get consistent
illumination.
The two lights that illuminate the instrument cluster are more of a
mystery. When I hook up a jumper from a ground to the edge of the bulb
socket, the lights turn on. How are these supposed to be grounded? Is
the ground wire that connects to the back of the oil pressure gauge
supposed to make the whole panel grounded, and when the panel connects
to the dash, that makes the dash grounded? My shop manual electrical
diagrams do not seem to agree. One shows earth via a ground cable, and
the other shows earth via a fixing bolt? Which one is correct? My
wiring suggests that it is supposed to be grounded via fixing, but I
can't seem to get a ground from the dash board.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Mark Vaden
62 TR4 CT8809L