TR4A Engine Vacuum

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (List Triumph)
Subject: TR4A Engine Vacuum
From: pmmacy@att.net
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:01:29 +0000
TR Guys:
  A fellow MVT club member has a "new" TR4A that seems to run well, but is down
on power.  We've determined that the vacuum advance on the dizzy is not
receiving any vacuum, but can't figure out why.  Using a vacuum gauge attached
to the PCV outlet of the intake manifold, it pulls a steady 15" at idle.
Moving the same gauge to the vacuum port on the HS6 SU reads ZERO at idle, and
maybe 1" after reving the engine and letting it back down.  We've sprayed
starting fluid all around the manifold and carb gaskets with no obvious vacuum
leaks, so where's it going, and why is there no vac at the vacuum advance port?
 Ideas anyone?
--
Mark Macy
New Carlisle, OH