RE: tr4 fuel pressure

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: tr4 fuel pressure
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:43:20 -0500
At 10:24 AM 4/16/2005, Randall wrote:
> > You probably should get a pressure regulator
> > that regulates that low.  Some don't.
>
>And lots of people have had problems even with the regulators that are
>supposed
>to work.

Sorry to be so late with this input but I was out of town.

Most vintage racers have found that the "ice cube" Facet / Purolator pumps
are not satisfactory. They go bad in a hurry. Secondly, the chrome pressure
regulators go bad in a hurry.

It's also double trouble when you team up the two. The pump pressure is
very close to what we want the carburetors to run. So, if you have an ice
cube pump (or any other electric pump) putting out 4 psi and you set the
regulator to, say, 3 psi, for some reason unknown to us the two fight each
other and under high load conditions will actually shut off fuel flow.

Racers almost universally go to the low pressure Holley or AC pump and the
Holley regulator and set it at 3 psi, although in real life the pressure
setting is not as important as everybody says it is. I ran for a whole
season with it set at 6 psi and had zero problems.

Real life experience, your theory may be different.

uncle jack