Help / Photo of TR4/4A Stromberg bell crank setup

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help / Photo of TR4/4A Stromberg bell crank setup
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:01:02 -0700
List,

I am trying to install the bell crank that is the pivot point for the
accelerator linkage on my TR4A.  However, the throttle return spring (the
one that makes the pedal come back up after you push on it), is extremely
strong, and I can't seem to adjust the bell crank to a position that will
result in instant throttle response.  Basically, the way I have my bell
crank set up, the intake manifold (just above the bell crank mount hole) is
the stop that keeps the bell crank from turning when you let off the
throttle (ie the spring is pushing the long accelerator rod too far forward,
and I have no way to stop it short of the bell crank (or the short carb
link, actually) from hitting the manifold).  Also, the rod is as short as I
can make it without cutting it, and I'm not sure shortening it up would help
anyway.  A longer carb link would probably help, but then I'd be using the
carb throttle rods to act as the stop, instead of the manifold.  I'm
thinking that maybe a softer spring (or a longer one?) would be a better
solution?

Does anyone have photos of how they have their bell crank installed on
either a TR4 or 4A that they could email to me?  Otherwise, any help is
appreciated!

TIA

Jeff Tedder

'66 & '67 TR4A