Re: Tie Rod Boot Trick?

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul@negia.net>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Rod Boot Trick?
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:45:28 -0700
Paul Dorsey wrote:

>I'm no dummie weakling, but, how do you get a new Tie Rod Boot on?

Thinking this is for a TR4...

As I recall the drivers side was a stretch.  I warmed it a bit (hot
water or mild heat gun) then stretched it over something a couple of
sizes larger than the fitting on the rack.  Let it sit that way awhile.
Then pulled it off that and stretched over the open end of a plastic lid
from an ordinary can of spray paint.  once on that lid a half-inch or so
I cut the lid around its circumference so I was left with just a half
inch wide ring of plastic holding the big end of the boot in a stretched
position.  This was big enough to slip over the end of the rack... then
I pull that plastic ring out and cut it to get it off... Walla!...
leaving the boot on the rack housing.

The passengers side was much easier -- a bit of vaseline to lube it and
it strecthed right over.

Please toss those cheesy zip ties they give you with the boot kit and
fix them with wire and wire clamps like Coventry intended.

There's probably an easier way -- but this is what worked for me.

Geo Hahn