Rack & Pinion Steering - How To Test?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rack & Pinion Steering - How To Test?
From: "Andy Schwarz" <aschwarz11@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:55:22 -0700
Manuals give plenty of information on removal and re-install, but nothing
about determining if it needs to be taken out for servicing.  Now that the
engine, radiator and most anything else that isn't welded in place have been
removed from my 70 TR6, the steering unit is very accessible.  If it needs
work, this is obviously the time to do it.  When rotating the steering column
shaft, there is no discernable "slop".  Just a very small movement of the
shaft results in tire movement.  Does this mean everything is ok, or, should
other things be checked?  I did not find anything pertinent in the archives
even though it would seem that this topic would come up from time to time.

Andy
Renton, WA