RE: WAG

To: "Triumph Email List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: WAG
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:46:56 -0700
> 2.  My damper also appears to have definite issues.  When a timing light is
> put on it and the engine revved up to 3k or so, the timing marks can be
> observed to slowly rotate continually.

!!!

That's got to mean that either the outer ring is about to fall off, or the key
is sheared and the whole hub is rattling around on the end of the crank.  Either
way, I'd say something catastrophic is coming soon if you don't fix it.

> I'd sure like to get this fixed prior to next week's Mitty.

IMO your only hope is to replace the damper now.  If it's loose on the crank,
you'll need something like Loctite circular parts mount to band-aid the damage
to the crank nose.

There may be other problems, this might not be the (only) source of your
vibration.  But this is serious, and deserves to be attended to promptly.
Unless you really *want* to see what happens when that hub comes off ... if
you're lucky it'll only go through the radiator.

Randall