RE: WAG

To: "'Sally or Dick Taylor'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: WAG
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <70TR6@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:07:05 -0400
Dick so eloquently pointed out that I really didn't give much info to allow
a WAG, so here's more.

1.  My starter doth protest fairly regularly when trying to start the car -
usually when a pretty young thing is walking by.
2.  My damper also appears to have definite issues.  When a timing light is
put on it and the engine revved up to 3k or so, the timing marks can be
observed to slowly rotate continually.  This I believe was why my timing
"appeared" to be way out of whack a few weeks ago, but it was all an
illusion.
3.  The vibration is felt through the pedals and definitely emanates from
the engine - or at least as definite as I can be.
4.  The vibration is heard and felt at idle and goes away once the car is in
motion - or at least they are masked by other noises and vibrations.
5.  U-joints are all recently replaced.
6.  I thought I perceived a slight wobble on the balancer when I lit it with
a flashlight.
7.  The ring gear has been replaced in the past due to it backing off, but
I've not had a chance to pull the starter to check to see if it's the
culprit.  However, if it were the culprit, wouldn't I hear some rather nasty
metallic noises coming from that area?

I'd sure like to get this fixed prior to next week's Mitty.  It just
figures, driving season is in full swing and I have a decently major issue.

Thanks as always,

R. Ashford Little II
'70 TR6
CC54994