TR6 Windscreen Capping

To: "Triumph Mail List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Windscreen Capping
From: "Scott Suhring" <suhringtr36@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:43:17 -0400
I finally got around to installing the new windscreen capping on my '70 TR6
today.  Well, let's just say they must not have quality control in Taiwan.
At face value it looks to be almost identical to the original, except the
end pressing is larger and the inner lip does not have the same crease as
the original.  I drilled out the old rivets with no problems, taking care
not to damage the original capping.  The new one, which I bought in January
from TRF's winter sale, would not line up.  If you got the holes for the
rivets to line up, the entire piece was misaligned to the windscreen with
the ends, front and back all being off. Needless to say, if you got the
capping to sit properly, you literally could not see the holes for the
rivets. None of them!  I will be sending it back this week and will be
asking for a refund (rather than credit, which is their policy for the
period of time that has elapsed).  So, will see what reply I get for this.
I guess I will have to just deal with all the marks around the latch hole
and give the original a good buffing and polishing, and then reinstall.
Very disappointing, to say the least, especially since this is the second
item in a row from TRF that was defective.

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6
'59 TR3