Low Oil Pressure Help

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Low Oil Pressure Help
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:10:22 -0400
Hi List,

  Sorry for the laziness of some parts of this post. I would look up the
answers in the Bentley manual but I don't have it here at home.

  Yesterday I changed the oil on the TR6 for the first time this season.
Since I have owned the car after a fresh oil change the car has always
had a cold oil pressure reading of about 75lbs + and a warm pressure of
about 50. Today I started it up after the oil change and of course
there was no reading momentarily then instead of shooting up around 75
the reading was closer to 25. I shut down the engine, checked the oil
level and checked for leaks and could find none. So I drove the car
about a mile, repeated the procedure, added a half quart of oil( about
6 quarts of 20W 50 total) with no increase in pressure. With no other
problems evident I figured I would drive it a little bit and see if the
pressure came up. Tapping the oil gauge did nothing and after a bit the
pressure did come up to a steady 25-30lbs. The car was driven for
awhile and allowed to sit for the day. In the afternoon I drove it
again and the initial reading was about 50lbs cold dropping to about 30
when the engine was hot. All gauge readings other than oil were normal.
Any ideas on cause of the drop in pressure. I think I am providing all
necessary information. Please let me know if I am not.

  On a side note, the car performed flawlessly. The TBI system is great,
plenty of power in 4th, even up hills. I just installed new panasports
resulting in a loss of the persistent shimmy.(YIPPEE) Not the warmest
day, but a very enjoyable drive, top up, back window and drivers window
down.

  The car does have an oil leak that appears to be coming from under the
timing cover. I have replaced the oil pan gasket twice and though the
oil is around where the oil pan mates to the engine I don't think the
oil pan is actually leaking. A side question would be if the leak isn't
the oil pan then where would it likely be coming from and what is
involved in fixing the leak.

  The car leaks very little oil while sitting but once running the car
gets quite excited about leaving its mark.

 Thanks in advance for all the help.

 Aaron

 Aaron Cropley
 71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)