TR3A brake-light switch confusion

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A brake-light switch confusion
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:12:04 -0400
I might have talked about this before, but, I'm still confused about the brake
light sending unit on my TR3A.  I wouldn't mind one from NAPA or somewhere
cheap since I'm not out for originality.  It's odd to me that my Haynes Manual
shows this upfront brass unit having four connections plus the brake light
switch.  However, the original one I removed from the car has only three
connections for brake lines (including the line from the master cylinder), the
brake light switch AND a funky octagonal silver 2" tall nut that must act as a
pressure relief valve.  If I could do away funky nut then my unit would have
the correct number of orifices and there would be four lines:
one hole/orifice going to the master cylinder, one going to the rear brakes,
one going to the front left caliper, and one going to the front right caliper
AND don't forget the brake light pressure sensitive (how many PSI?) switch.
Could some explain this unit to me?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A

P.S.- Irv wrote me and said maintaince records for his 2m p1800, etc. were
available if one simply types in "Irv Gordon" at most search engines.